It's Earthday, and I don't think I can pass up this opportunity to talk to you a little about things you can do to effect change. Hopefully I can give you a few ideas on simple changes you can make to green up your own corner of the world and internet! We take being green seriously here at VERTE... it is who we are, and in everything we do.
1. Recycle batteries. Batteries are a necessary evil it seems with today's technology. Between kid toys, camera equipment and all our games and handheld devices it seems like even with rechargeable, we are always picking up some new battery to replace something. However it is VERY important to recycle, or dispose of old batteries in a SAFE way! Batteries contain heavy metals such as mercury, lead, cadmium, and
nickel, which can contaminate the environment when batteries are
improperly disposed of. When incinerated, certain metals might be
released into the air or can concentrate in the ash produced by the
combustion process. PLEASE don't just toss old ones into the trash! Most companies like Best Buy, Walmart etc have some sort of recycling option for you, or you can visit http://corporate.interstatebatteries.com/recycling/ to find additional options in your area!
2. SHIP GREEN! While I always use recycled boxes, and reuse materials to pack and ship orders as well as personal shipments. I have found a way to step it all up a notch and now my portrait packaging will also be done in 100% recycled bags from ECOENCLOSE Not only a green company but based in Longmont, CO! They shipped me a sample pack, and I couldn't be happier with the options available! They even offer biodegradable tape!
3. Take your website GREEN! If you host a website why not check out some of the green options! WHO KNEW a website could be green! Companies like GreenGeeks.com and Hostgator.com (and countless others) offer competitive prices, and are green certified! How does that work? Here is the link to Hostgator's story, I like them because they are Texas based!
4. Share the love! Purchase from other Small businesses who ship green, and offer green products. People like Streeter & CO, who use biodegradable peanuts to ship their items... YES! They really do dissolve in water, it was kid tested just this weekend! Here is a great list of small businesses who are all ECO-Friendly!
5. Teach your kids. It takes so little to get kids excited about growing plants, recycling, and picking up trash when they see it. They WANT to do these things! But let's also teach them that we should buy things packaged with less waste, because most foods marketed to kids is not! Share with them how taking care of their toys so they can be passed along to other kids is not only earth friendly but can really bring happiness to other kids! Simple changes can spark major results!