©Verte Photography All Rights Reserved

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year!

Here we are again!
Happy New Year!

I find myself rarly making goals or resolutions for myself or my family during this time. It's simply something we have never really done as a tradition. The most I do for New Years is my salad made from:

Spinach: the green leaves look like folded money, and are thus symbolic of economic fortune. I added this after celebrating my first New Year in the south, when I lived in Atlanta.
Black eyed peas: My mom always did this, come to find out that according to Southern folklore, these are the first food to be eaten on New Year's Day for luck and prosperity throughout the year ahead.
Ham: Which I think comes from my Grandmothers German background, but  always went well with the back eyed peas I never really asked! When I looked it up I found out the cusm of eating pork is based on the idea that pigs symbolize progress. It is served not only in Germany, but Cuba, Australia, Spain, Portugal and Hungry.

Now, to make it a "salad" I typically dice the ham, cook and cool the pea's and dress it at all with a light vinaigrette and possibly some Mandarin oranges if I have some on hand from the holidays. 
 
New Year's Day, we used to have people over and mill around the house, catch up with friends from the holidays and watch movies. Giving a chance for some to recover from the previous night and always having lots of yummy foods on hand! It is, and always has been a relaxed "non" event. Don't dress up, don't stress. Just come over and hang out. 
 
We don't live close to friends or family now, so we are celebrating this holiday like most. Quietly. We will have salad, and snacks all day. Movies and computer games to be sure. But no big event for us this year! 
 
However, I can't say that its a bad thing. I have really enjoyed quiet holidays. Unplugged from the world and really focused on our family. 

1 comment:

  1. I have nominated your for a Liebster Award! Check out this blog post for details: http://mothersheavenlyarmor.com/2013/01/02/ive-been-nominated-for-a-liebby/

    ReplyDelete