©Verte Photography All Rights Reserved

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Devilishly Handsome

What sends sparks down your spine, tingles your toes? 

What quickens your pulse, or inspires a new crush?


I don't get all twitter-patted over the new Hollywood "it" boy or girl. I can honestly say, I'm not that girl. I've certainly never spoken about the latest heart throb on my blog or stalked someone on social media before. It's just not my gig. Sure there are some standbys that I find myself always excited to see their newest movie or TV show. Some for true acting ability and others because I respect them as people, others because they are great eye candy. However, it's the pretty rare occurrence that I would have anything that resembles a crush or passing interest. I just don't have the time or energy to spend on it.



That was until recently when I came across this image on Pinterest. I was taken, I totally admit it.  


http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1812656/

Do you know what got me? The hair... the outfit... the decidedly roguish goatee and "rustic" shave job? Well... yes!! But not at first blush! 

The first thing I noticed (and the reason I pinned it originally) was the crinkle around his eyes. He just looks like someone who LOVES to laugh! He looks like he got caught... having fun, maybe in better light we would see a bit of a blush on his cheeks! It simply feels like an honest moment that was captured, not staged.  I followed the link and much to my surprise learned that this is Luke Evans,one of the actors in The Hobbit. (Who knew? I shamefully admit not me.  I never would have recognized him! Yea I know, I am not "with it" when it comes to Hollywood's up and coming or for that matter... most anyone that's "current" this girl has priorities that don't revolve around Entertainment Tonight!) 

I did a quick Google search (and I'm not even going to lie about how fast I did that!) and found proof that when he laughs... he laughs big! Like his whole heart and soul is opened up and joining in! It's natural, and honest and to be honest with you - it's pretty attractive... mostly because it speaks to how he must enjoy every day... you don't get laugh lines like this and not have a good sense of humor and joy in your life.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1812656/

I for one, can not get enough of it! I LOVE that his smile effects his whole face! His crinkles spoke to me and I have now have a secret Pinterest board that is full of his images, and interviews as much as it pains me to share that guilty pleasure with you. (and as hard as it is to admit since I am not a "sharer"... I might be cyber stalking him a tad. Like need a 12 step program... a tad.) I will also justify that statement with the fact that he is a sharp dresser, and I was looking for suggestions for a client... (that makes it slightly less creepy right?)

Regardless... I very much fell under the spell of wanting to learn more about him based only on a few simple images. It could be "good photography" but in this case, it was something deeper. These images that captured my attention don't seem to have come from his press office or when he was "on"... they don't appear to be studio "staged" images. (although there are plenty of those around, they seem less... engaging.)  These particular images attracted me and I was drawn to them not for the quality of the image, but for the story the subject told.



I know what your asking... what's my latest crush really doing on the blog today? Dispite my extreme pleasure in sharing him with you... 
Please, allow me to connect the dots! I had a real reason for introducing you today!

I wrote yesterday about my own self image, aging and my own redesign of accepting who I am and how I want people to see me particularly when it comes to my own wrinkles, and eye crinkles. While writing that post, it occurred to me that I have a completely different set of rules when it comes to what I am attracted to and how I see other's. I have been retouching the crinkles out of my personal images because it was something I didn't want to see, and didn't want people to notice about me.

I had to stop and ask myself:  How is it than that the same characteristic is SUCH a huge draw to me when I look at other peoples images? 

Without them, he would just be... lost in the mix of the handsome Hollywood elite. (that's probably not such a bad thing... but that's not the point!) However, with them... I feel like he is telling me something about himself... sharing a story, telling me about his personality. It connects me to him, and makes him feel more real and tangible as a person and not just someone we would see on the big screen. Those lines, creases and crinkles... that's the part that I find handsome... tempting, and sexy and makes me want to learn more about him as a person.

I found this quote from Mr. Luke Evans about when he began (I hope I remember correctly) his first movie... because he has been in theater for some time, and I can't help but think perhaps he faces himself each morning the mirror and like me can't help but make a few faces, tug and pull to recreate that softer younger look we shared 10 years ago. (if that's not true... please don't spoil my small fantasy!)


"I was 30, a fully fledged man, I wasn't a twinkie kid. I didn't have a pretty face, I had rugged lines. I'm not a Twilight boy, I'll never be as good looking as those lads, and that's fair enough. I'm this dude that can play a farmhand and a handyman and sometimes a Greek god. And now I'm playing Count Dracula," he grins, very happy with his lot. 


-Luke Evans interview with the The Gaurdian


I'm just going to take a moment to point out (not that I expect Luke to ever see it... but I am going to say it anyways.) You might not be one of those "twilight boys" and you should do a little dance of joy about that! I couldn't even begin to care about them... none of them have anything unique or special about them... and I personally don't even pause when passing by their images.

You however, come on the scene as the ruggedly sexy, pick me up off the floor (insert maidens swooning here).... damn that man has style... devastatingly handsome man! That "rugged" face that you term as "not as good looking" is simply you holding yourself to different standards as I was. If nothing else, finding your image at this moment in my life... gave me a new perspective and created change in my life. So perhaps, you've done more already for society than countless other "pretty boys", without even trying.




Your face, your health and your heart tell the story of your life... with every fine line, laugh line or gray hair we gain so much more.  It's not something we should hide from or hide from others. We should embrace it, be proud of it... and enjoy ourselves more.






No comments:

Post a Comment